Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The view from my cell in Fashion Prison.

If you know me,  then you know that I have an unhealthy addiction to shoes and a rather *unique* fashion sensibility.  Ok- I know everyone thinks that their fashion sense is sooooo unique.  But when I say unique,  I mean that I have never seen anyone else that dresses the way I want to dress,  or with the inconsistency of genre that I know I reflect. Maybe my style in high school is what got me locked up in the fashion prison I live in today.

Let me start by emphasizing the phrase *I want to dress*.  I can't figure out if it was because I grew up wearing uniforms in Japan,  or because of synaesthesia, or both,  but I *want to dress* in a manner that I have found is unacceptable to the general public. 

And before you start judging me for my repression or whatever: not only is my dream style impractical for social reasons,  it would definitely see me sent home from work. Having a well paying job and not being gawked at are valuable enough to me to tone down my look. 

Ok,  disclaimer over.  Let's do this. 

Hair:
I would adore to have long black hair with some exciting colored streaks. Probably cerulean.  And maybe a couple of pretty plum streaks too.  And a pink one. 

Why I dont:
1) I do not have the self control to grow my hair out past my shoulders.  It gets to an awkward length and I HAVE to cut it. 
2) I am reasonably sure that if I put all those colors in my hair,  I would be sent home from work after an admonishment about being presentable for the more conservative customers. 

SO: I have black hair cut in a slanted bob.  Low maintenance,  non-offensive. 

Earrings:

I get away with most earrings that I try,  I don't do gauges or cartilage piercings.  I have a slightly edgier than dainty 3 holes of normal size.  Two in my right ear,  one in my left. 

I love earrings with feathers and dream catchers and long dangley threads and studs that look really heavy metal.  I also like big hoops.  Not embellished or enormous, but thin circles with a max 2 inch diameter.

I don't:
Wear earrings that touch my shoulders or big hoops or crazy studs.  I would like to,  but I am sure I would get negative attention for them in my pretty conservatively dressed office,  and they would irritate the crap out of me when I use the phone.  Which I do a lot. 

Other Jewelry:

I wear statement necklaces to work,  because with a low key top and slacks,  they help sate my desire to act out fashionably.  I don't see myself wearing necklaces outside of that scenario,  though. 

I kinda wish my eyebrow was pierced.  But I am noncommittal. And one should not be noncommittal about additional holes in one's face. 

I like some bracelets.  But they irk me and I eventually take them off.  I have 3 different spiked or studded bangles/cuffs.  I have worn them collectively one and a half times. I have a layered pearl stretchy bracelet that fares better on me, but I still rarely wear it. 

Clothes:

I would describe my style as: Buffy the Vampire Slayer seasons 1-3 plus Japanese school girl that likes rock and roll plus punk plus metal plus sometime preppy Americana/sometime pinup Americana. 

What I don't like to wear:
I'm not really a fan of the hipster/Dave Matthews girl/ bohemian look that seems to be super popular around here.  Also,  that strange way that girls that are "quirky"  in movies dress.  That's not me.  A lot of people have been confused and thought that was me.  It isn't. 

I prefer black to white,  silver to gold,  colors to earth tones,  and leather to animal prints.  I don't love floral, or most regular patterns.  I do like Gothic crosses and bejeweled things,  ooh and shiny paint,  and graphic prints that are not pop culture references.  Like a picture of a photocopy looking rose or a kabuki lady or something.  And that shit better not be centered. 

All references to Japan/UK/Cherokee Nation instantly have appeal to me.

Shoes:
My most powerful and wallet crippling addiction is also my most impractical.  I have a penchant for skinny high heels.  There was a time when I wouldn't even consider a heel shorter than 3 inches.  I just like the look of them. I am 5'8.5".  Yeah, I need that half inch on there to illustrate the point that in my most beloved heels,  I tower an Amazonian 6'1.5". It is too tall. I'm afraid of heights and I feel like a godzilla.  I own shoes that I haven't worn.  I bought those shoes imagining some fantastical world where I attend red carpet events.  I see them on my feet and for some reason I am 5'4" in this world and I can wear these one-off shoes with jeans or a cute sun dress.  Inaccurate. 

My pinterest account is slowly acquiring a sampling of stuff I think looks awesome.  Stuff that I will never wear to work because at my most restrained I am already pushing the boundaries on dress code.  Oh well,  story of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment